Semaglutide is a medication that has been approved by the FDA as a weight loss treatment. It belongs to a class of medications called glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists (GLP-1 RA) that have been used to treat diabetes since 2017. However, it has recently been discovered that it can also help with weight loss.
It works by suppressing appetite and reducing food cravings, leading to a decrease in caloric intake and greater utilization of macro and micro nutrients. Additionally, it helps regulate blood sugar, insulin resistance, and metabolic syndrome which are common factors associated with obesity and cardiovascular disease. This medication is highly effective on its own and is also a wonderful compliment to bio-identical hormone therapies (BHRT).
At Swan Medical, our team of experienced providers specialize in using semaglutide not only to aid in weight loss but also to promote longevity. We work closely with our patients to evaluate their specific needs and develop personalized treatment plans that will achieve optimal results. We understand that each patient is unique, and take great care to ensure that every patient
receives individualized support throughout the entire process.
If you are interested in learning more about how semaglutide can help you lose weight safely and effectively, contact Swan Medical today. Our staff will be happy to schedule an appointment for you to meet with our exceptional providers at our Los Gatos office. Call us at (925) 905-9922 or complete an inquiry form to learn more.
- 1 About Semaglutide
- 2 Does Semaglutide Have Any Side Effects?
- 3 Benefits
- 4 Candidates
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 How Do I Take Semaglutide?
- 7 Results
- 8 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 9 Cost of Semaglutide in Los Gatos
- 10 FAQ
- 11 References
Obesity is a severe health concern that affects millions of people worldwide, and unfortunately, it’s becoming more and more prevalent. It’s a condition that has been linked to numerous health problems, including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and even some forms of cancer. For many individuals struggling with obesity, traditional weight loss methods such as diet and exercise may not provide the desired results. Fortunately, there are new options available to help patients achieve their weight loss goals, including the use of a medication called Semaglutide.
Semaglutide is a GLP-1 receptor. It works by mimicking the action of a hormone called GLP-1, which is naturally produced in the body. GLP-1 is responsible for regulating appetite, glucose metabolism, and insulin secretion. Clinical trials have demonstrated that Semaglutide can lead to significant weight loss in obese patients. In one study, participants taking Semaglutide lost an average of almost 15% of their body weight over the course of 68 weeks. (1) The medication was also found to improve other health markers, such as blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and glycemic control. (2)
One of the most significant benefits of Semaglutide is its ability to control appetite. The medication acts on the brain’s satiety center, reducing feelings of hunger and promoting feelings of fullness. By decreasing caloric intake while prioritizing nutrient density, patients can achieve weight loss more effectively and sustainably.
Does Semaglutide Have Any Side Effects?
Semaglutide is generally well-tolerated, but like any medication, it does come with some potential side effects. These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation. However, these tend to be mild and usually subside after a few weeks of treatment.
At Swan Medical, our team of medical professionals will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that addresses your unique needs and goals while mitigating unwanted effects. Whether you’re struggling with obesity, type 2 diabetes, or if you have other related health concerns, we can help you achieve optimal health and wellness. Contact us today to learn more about how Semaglutide can help you on your weight loss journey.
Here are just a few of the many benefits you can expect from Semaglutide for weight loss:
- Reduced risk of obesity-related health problems: Obesity is associated with a number of serious health conditions such as heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. By losing weight with Semaglutide, you can reduce your risk of developing these and other health problems.
- Improved insulin sensitivity: Semaglutide has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity, which can be especially beneficial for those with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes.
- Lowered blood sugar levels: High blood sugar levels can lead to a range of health problems, but Semaglutide can help lower and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Increased satiety and decreased appetite: Semaglutide works by reducing hunger and increasing feelings of fullness, making it easier to stick to a healthy eating plan.
- Enhanced cardiovascular health: Losing weight with Semaglutide can improve heart health by reducing blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and inflammation in the body.
- Improved overall physical fitness: Shedding excess weight can improve your physical fitness and make it easier to engage in physical activity.
- Greater self-confidence and improved mental health: Achieving weight loss goals can boost self-esteem and improve mental health.
- Reduced joint pain and inflammation: Excess weight can put a strain on joints, leading to pain and inflammation. Semaglutide-induced weight loss can alleviate these symptoms.
- Lowered cholesterol levels: Semaglutide can help reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol and increase HDL (good) cholesterol levels.
- Reduced risk of type 2 diabetes development: If left untreated, prediabetes can progress into type 2 diabetes. Semaglutide can help prevent the development of type 2 diabetes by promoting weight loss and improving insulin sensitivity.
- When semaglutide is combined with BHRT such as testosterone this can dramatically help to mitigate the loss of muscle mass that is often associated with weight loss and subsequent regaining of weight after the medication is discontinued.
If you’re considering semaglutide for weight loss, it’s important to note that it is typically prescribed for individuals with a BMI of 30 or higher, or those with a BMI of 27 or higher who also have a weight-related condition such as type 2 diabetes. A consultation with our team can help determine if semaglutide is a safe and effective option for you.
Overall, semaglutide offers a promising new approach to weight management, and we are excited to offer this treatment option to patients at Swan Medical.
During a personal consultation at our Los Gatos office, our team will assess your medical history and discuss your weight loss goals. We will review your body mass index and any other health conditions you may have that could impact your treatment plan. If Semaglutide is right for you, we will discuss dosing and administration, as well as potential side effects.
It’s important to note that while Semaglutide can be an effective tool for weight loss and blood sugar control, it should always be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise regimen.
How Do I Take Semaglutide?
Patients are started on a small initial dose of Semaglutide in the form of a daily sublingual troche which gradually increases every 4 to 6 weeks. We may adjust the dosage based on your individual needs and response to the medication. It is preferable to take one troche under the tongue 15 minutes away from food at the same time each day. It’s important to keep a consistent schedule to ensure the medication is effective.
Following treatment with Semaglutide, patients may experience mild side effects such as nausea, acid reflux and constipation. These symptoms typically resolve within the first few weeks of treatment. With continued use of Semaglutide and adherence to a healthy lifestyle, patients can expect to see significant improvements in their weight and overall health.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
BHRT, or bioidentical hormone replacement therapy, is a treatment option for individuals who are experiencing hormone imbalances due to aging, menopause, or other factors. Hormones such as estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone play a vital role in our bodies and can affect many aspects of our health and well-being. BHRT uses hormones that are identical in structure to
those naturally produced by the body to help balance hormone levels. BHRT therapy can help to retain muscle and bone mass that can be lost as a person’s weight decreases.
Sermorelin with Glycine
Sermorelin with Glycine is a type of peptide treatment that works by stimulating the pituitary gland to produce more growth hormone. This therapy is often used to treat individuals who have a growth hormone deficiency or those who are experiencing the effects of aging on their body. By increasing the amount of growth hormone in the body, patients may be able to experience anti-aging benefits such as improved skin texture, increased muscle mass, and enhanced metabolism.
Cost of Semaglutide in Los Gatos
The cost of your treatment will be dependent on your individual weight loss plan. At Swan Medical, we understand that cost is an important factor when considering any medical treatment. That’s why we work with our patients to provide accurate estimates and explore all possible avenues for cost savings. Contact us today at (925) 905-9922 to schedule a consultation with one
of our experienced providers to discuss whether Semaglutide is right for you.
Find out more about wellness in Los Gatos by reading the Swan Medical blog.
Is semaglutide safe for long-term use?
Semaglutide has been approved for long-term use, and clinical trials have shown it to be safe and effective for up to 18 months of treatment. However, as with any medication, it is important to discuss the potential risks and benefits of long-term use with your doctor and to regularly monitor your health while taking it.
How often do I have to take Semaglutide?
Semaglutide is taken once a day via a sublingual troche under the tongue 15 minutes away from food. Your doctor will determine the most appropriate dose based on your individual needs and response to treatment.
- Wilding JPH, Batterham RL, Calanna S, et al. Once-Weekly Semaglutide in Adults with Overweight or Obesity. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2021;384(11).
- Okamoto A, Yokokawa H, Nagamine T, Fukuda H, Hisaoka T, Naito T. Efficacy and
safety of semaglutide in glycemic control, body weight management, lipid profiles and other biomarkers among obese type 2 diabetes patients initiated or switched to
semaglutide from other GLP-1 receptor agonists. Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic
Disorders. Published online September 25, 2021. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40200-021-00899-9