Autologous Conditioned Plasma treatment for hair regrowth is a way to grow more of your own thicker hair using your platelets! How? Autologous Conditioned Plasma is rich in platelets and contains growth factors.
These vital proteins promote cell growth and tissue repair by stimulating cell development and regeneration. They also stimulate multipotent cells already in the region to generate newer, younger tissue. Multipotent cells can not only self-renew but also develop into many distinct kinds of cells as needed. So ACP treatment may be the method you’ve been looking for to regrow your own hair.
Dr. Peter Castillo, M.D., is a board-certified Urogynecologist in Los Gatos, California. He has dedicated his practice to helping his patients look and feel years younger. He is an expert in ACP and has been performing the procedure for years to revitalize his patients’ skin health and hair follicles. Are you ready to find a solution to your thinning hair? Call Swan Medical today to find out more about ACP for Hair Regrowth at (925) 905-9922 or by filling out this form.
Follow our blog for more revitalizing treatments for the body!
- 1 About Platelets
- 2 The Benefits of ACP Treatment for Hair Regrowth
- 3 Does ACP Therapy Work if I Have No Hair?
- 4 Why Am I Losing My Hair?
- 5 Candidates for Autologous Conditioned Plasma Treatment
- 6 Personal Consultation
- 7 Preparation for Treatment
- 8 The Procedure
- 9 Recovery from ACP Injections
- 10 Results of ACP for Hair Regrowth
- 11 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 12 How Much Does ACP Treatment Cost in Los Gatos, CA?
- 13 References
You probably know what platelets are; they are essential for clotting blood. However, you may not know that platelets are also rich in bioactive proteins, which are necessary for healing wounds. And when platelets are applied to the skin, or in this case, hair follicles, they release these proteins, which then stimulate cell growth and regeneration.
ACP is created by taking a small sample of your blood and spinning it in a centrifuge to separate the platelets from the other blood cells. The ACP is then injected into the area where you want to stimulate hair growth. The injection process takes less than 30 minutes and is virtually painless. And because the ACP is derived from your own blood, as long as the preparation and administration are done properly, there is no risk of allergic reaction or rejection. 
Dr. Castillo has been performing ACP injections for hair loss and has seen great results in his patients. If you are suffering from hair loss, call Swan Medical today to find out if ACP treatment can help you regrow your hair! In fact, with more research, ACP may prove to be an effective treatment for alopecia areata.
What are Growth Factors?
Growth factors are small proteins that play a significant role in cell growth and regeneration. They are found in every tissue of the body and are essential for wound healing. Growth factors work by binding to receptors on the surface of cells and stimulating them to divide and multiply. This process is known as mitosis.
There are many different types of growth factors, each with a specific function. For example, some growth factors are responsible for cell proliferation, others for cell differentiation, and still others for cell migration.  All of these processes are necessary for tissue regeneration.
Some of the most well-known growth factors are:
- Fibroblast Growth Factor (FGF)
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF)
- Keratinocyte Growth Factor (KGF)
- Insulin-Like Growth Factor (IGF)
- Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (PDGF)
Growth factors are found in platelets, which is why ACP is such an effective treatment for hair loss. When injected into the scalp, the growth factors in ACP stimulate the hair follicles to divide and multiply, resulting in thicker, fuller hair. In a clinical trial, patients saw both an improvement in the number of hairs in the target area (+33.6 hairs) and the total hair density (+45.9 hairs per cm2) after three treatment cycles! 
The Benefits of ACP Treatment for Hair Regrowth
A full, thick head of hair is historically associated with youth and vitality. So it’s no wonder that hair loss can be so devastating, especially for women. It’s no picnic for men either, but it is widely accepted that men can pull it off. No matter what society thinks, if you don’t like the look that your hair loss creates, then the most important thing is that the hair loss is stopped and reversed. Thinning hair can make you look and feel much older than you are, but there is hope. ACP for Hair Regrowth is:
- A non-surgical, minimally invasive treatment that can be used to treat both men and women suffering from hair loss.
- An effective solution for hair loss because it uses your body’s natural growth factors to stimulate hair follicles and promote new hair growth.
- A safe and effective alternative to other hair loss treatments, such as Rogaine or Propecia, which can have serious side effects.
- A quick and easy procedure that we can perform in the comfort of our office.
- An affordable hair loss solution that can save you thousands of dollars in hair transplants.
But there is no time to delay, you are losing precious hair follicles every day. Call us now to schedule a consultation and find out if ACP for Hair Regrowth is right for you.
Does ACP Therapy Work if I Have No Hair?
If you have completely lost your hair, ACP therapy will not work. However, ACP therapy can be an effective treatment if you have started to lose your hair or are experiencing thinning hair.
ACP therapy can also be used to prevent hair loss. If you are at risk for hair loss due to family history or other factors, ACP therapy can be used in order to avoid hair loss before it starts.
Why Am I Losing My Hair?
There are a variety of reasons hair falls out. Hair loss can be caused by the following:
- Hormonal changes
- Medical conditions
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Use of certain medications
Dr. Castillo knows the effectiveness of ACP therapy in preventing hair loss. So if you are at risk for hair loss due to family history or other factors, ACP therapy can prevent hair loss before it starts.
Candidates for Autologous Conditioned Plasma Treatment
Patients qualified to receive ACP for hair regrowth are those with early hair loss or thinning hair. We see the best results in patients who have not yet lost all of their hair. ACP can also thicken existing hair and make it appear fuller.
If you are ready to feel confident about your hair again, call Swan Medical for a consultation today!
If you are ready to take the first step toward regrowing your natural hair, call us today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Castillo. He will review your medical history and perform a physical examination to determine if ACP treatment is the proper treatment for you and if it will help you regrow your hair. Dr. Castillo will answer your questions and ensure you are fully prepared for treatment.
Preparation for Treatment
No special preparation is required before your ACP treatment. However, you should:
- Avoid taking blood thinners, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, for at least a week before your treatment to reduce the risk of bruising.
- Avoid alcohol for at least 24 hours before your treatment.
ACP for hair regrowth is a quick and easy procedure that can be done in the comfort of our office.
- First, Dr. Castillo will draw a small sample of your blood from your arm, less than what we would take for a routine blood test.
- Then, your blood will be placed in a centrifuge, which will spin at high speed for about 6 minutes to separate the platelets from the red and white blood cells.
- After centrifugation, the topmost layer of plasma is harvested and used in the reinjection procedure.
A local anesthetic may be used to keep you comfortable during your injections. The doctor will inject about 0.1 ml/cm2 of ACP into each injection site; a total of 9 to 12 injections in a single treatment session. The entire process takes less than 30 minutes, and you can return to your normal activities immediately.
Recovery from ACP Injections
You may experience some redness and swelling at the injection site, but this should subside within a few hours; this is normal and should resolve within a few days. Some patients experience flaking, but the symptom resolves on its own.
You should avoid washing your hair for at least 24 hours after treatment. After that, you can return to your regular hair care routine. You can return to your normal activities immediately after your treatment. It is recommended that you avoid strenuous activity, such as exercise, for at least 24 hours after your treatment.
Results of ACP for Hair Regrowth
ACP for hair regrowth is a slow process. It can take up to four weeks to see any results from your treatment. However, most patients will see full results from their ACP treatments within three to six months.
You may need to have multiple ACP treatments to achieve the desired results. As your hair grows, you will notice that it is thicker and fuller than before. The results will boost your confidence, and you will feel great knowing you can swim, play sports, and style your hair without worry.
ACP for hair regrowth is not a one-time treatment. Instead, you will need to have periodic treatments to maintain your results. Most patients need ACP treatments every four to six months to maintain their results.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Once you’ve experienced ACP for Hair Regrowth, why not try ACP on your skin? Our Vampire Facial can help with anti-aging, skin tightening, and overall skin health!
How Much Does ACP Treatment Cost in Los Gatos, CA?
The cost of ACP treatment varies depending on the number of treatments you need and the size of the area being treated. Schedule your consultation with Dr. Castillo today, and he will lay out a treatment plan and cost assessment tailored to your needs. Call (925) 905-9922 to speak with a scheduling coordinator today!
- Latalski M, Walczyk A, Fatyga M, et al. Allergic reaction to platelet-rich plasma (ACP). Medicine. 2019;98(10):e14702. doi:10.1097/md.0000000000014702
- Gentile P, Garcovich S, Bielli A, Scioli MG, Orlandi A, Cervelli V. The Effect of Platelet-Rich Plasma in Hair Regrowth: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial. Stem Cells Translational Medicine. 2015;4(11):1317-1323. doi:10.5966/sctm.2015-0107
- Urist M, DeLange R, Finerman G. Bone cell differentiation and growth factors. Science. 1983;220(4598):680-686. doi:10.1126/science.6403986